Sunday, February 9, 2014

Subject: Bummer Sunday
Date: February 3, 2014 9:31:08 AM PST
So all went well this week. We had the car so we didn't have to walk or ride bikes which just feels awesome after spending the last 5 weeks basically freezing. But now we are back to walking this week and it's a lot colder this week than last so... yeah it kinda stinks haha.
So the subject of this e-mail. Bummer Sunday. We were supposed to baptize Marcos this Sunday but then last minute on Sunday he went to work and told us that he just wants to stay with his old church. We were pretty bummed because we had been looking forward to his baptism for about a week now. I think we just need to spend some more time with him and teach him a bit more. He'll come around soon enough, especially because he lives with a returning member who has tons of support for him. So hopefully he will be on date again this week.
Food. The next time you go to a taqueria you need to try tacos de lengua. I would never have tried it before my mission (because lengua is cow tongue) but I've just been sorta trying everything I can since I've gotten here. Anyways, I think tacos de lengua are the best tacos you can get. I've basically tried every kind of meat in the taquerias now and I really think that lengua is my favorite. So give it a try. I think you'll like it ;) Just don't pay attention to the fact that your eating a tongue hahaha.
Spiritual thought time. Alma 48:11-13, 17. And Moroni was a strong and a mighty man; he was a man of a perfect understanding; a man whose soul did joy in the liberty and the freedom of his [family], and his brethren from bondage and slavery; a man whose heart did swell with thanksgiving to his God, for the many privileges and blessings which he bestowed upon his [family]; a man who did labor exceedingly for the welfare and safety of his [family]. He was a man who was firm in the faith of Christ, and he had sworn with an oath to defend his [family], his rights, and his country, and his religion, even to the loss of his blood. (17) Yea, verily, verily I say unto you, if all men had been, and were, and ever would be, like unto Moroni, behold, the very powers of hell would have been shaken forever; yea, the devil would never have power over the hearts of the children of men.
So I read this section the other day and just said "Wow". We have a list of exactly how we need to act in our lives to be good examples and to make sure that the devil never has power of the hearts of our families. It's awesome because this is basically a promise from God that If we act in the manner of Captain Moroni that we and our families will never be able to fall into the grasp of the devil. I guess what we need to do is check ourselves against the qualities that Moroni had and make sure that we are doing well in each of them and if we are not then we need to change our lives so that we ARE doing good in all of them. I'm not going to say more about it. Its pretty self-explanatory haha.
There was a chance that my training would get cut short (12 weeks down to 6 weeks) so that I would go train another missionary but I'm not so I'm pretty excited. I really love the area here so I would be really bummed if I had to move out already haha. The people in this area are really amazing and super nice to the missionaries, and I've been told that its the best area to serve as a Spanish speaking missionary so I'm pretty glad that I get to stay here a while longer. I think we only teach about 1-2 families a week that speak English so its a pretty good opportunity for me to learn too. Anyways, that's it for the week. Not much new :/ Talk to you next week :D
     Love
        -Elder Nyholm

No comments:

Post a Comment