Friday, June 20, 2014

Sent: Monday, June 16, 2014 9:12 AM
Subject: 6 More Weeks!
 
Well, this week was transfers and I found I have at least another 6 weeks here in Independence Mo in the Hill Park ward with Elder Parry. I thought that you only had 2 transfers in a row with your companion if you were training or if you hated your companion. I love serving with Elder Parry and I thought the feeling was mutual but now I'm having second thoughts about what he is thinking hahaha. But no really, we work great as a companionship and are trying to be more and more effective every day.
 
Funny story of the week. I was sharing a a spiritual message after dinner at a member's home this week. My message was centered around how we can protect our families from the influences of Satan but I was trying to relate a story about the Lamanites attacking the Nephites. Anyways, I asked 9-year old Sam Olsen who we are fighting against since there are no Lamanites. He immediately yells out "The Catholics!". His dad had a pretty hard time explaining to him that Catholics are great people and that we are really fighting against Satan and temptations in our lives. Just something that made me laugh this week.
 
On a more spiritual note, yesterday during ward council the ward clerk Brother Cato shared a really great spiritual thought. About 6 years ago he had some serious health problems and ended up having 2 heart surgeries within 10 days of each other. He got through them fine and was planning on taking a vacation with his family withing the next few months. One day he was sitting on his recliner with his 3-year old son Max and Max asked him "are you going to swim with us while we are on vacation Daddy?". Brother Cato told his son "I can't swim right now". 3-year old max replied "Daddy, I will hold you". How many people do we see each and every day who can't swim through the trials that life brings to us and need someone to hold them. Each one of us is here, as a servant of god, to hold those who stand in need of help, comfort, support, etc. As Mosiah 18:8-9 says, [we should be] "desirous to come into the fold of God, and to be called his people, and [be] willing to bear one another’s burdens, that they may be light; Yea, and [be] willing to mourn with those that mourn; yea, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort, and to stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places". I hope that as each one of us goes throughout our day that we will look for people who may be struggling and think the words of 3-year old Max, "Daddy, I will hold you".
 
Nothing super interesting or new has happened this week. It has just been a great week of teaching and bringing others closer to Christ. I hope you all have a great week! I Love You!
 
  Love
     -Elder Nyholm

No comments:

Post a Comment