Monday, August 4, 2014

Sent: Monday, August 04, 2014 12:02 PM
Subject: Going Strong
 
Well this week went by super extra fast and went pretty swell also. The big blessing this week was that Erika Beccera (who I baptized last week, I think I wrote her last name as Pujols), sister Lily Becerra, got baptized on Saturday! So I got to take a short field trip down to my old area so that I could attend her baptism. It was a pretty awesome experience and it's really a testimony to me that just because we left an area doesn't mean that we didn't leave a lasting impression or effect on the people there. So far I feel like in my mission I've been more a "Planter" but you know, that's perfectly OK with me as long as I still get to see people progress in the Gospel. And so far I've been able to do that so I'm happy :)
 
We met a pretty awesome guy this week. His name is Brother Floden, a less-active member who was baptized about 30 years ago in Germany, lost contact with the Church shortly after his move back here to the United States, and has been learning about the church again for about a year now. Anyways, we met him in the Liberty Jail with another member of our ward and had a nice sit down spiritual lesson with him. Before we really started teaching at all though he was telling us about his life and how he has people at work ask him "How do you stay so happy all the time with all this junk going on around you?". Brother Floden's answer is always "I just say my prayers and drive on". It's really a wonderful testimony to me that such a small thing as saying our prayers every day can make such a huge difference in our life. That is what sets Brother Floden apart from everyone around him at work, the fact that he says his prayers each and every day, acting with faith that God will support him in the trials and challenges that surround him. Just a thought that has kept me going over the past few days.
 
Well the weather has been great but I hear that it is about to start heating up real good, up into the 90's. Its really a bummer because this week we won't have a car so we are going to be frying outside all day. But we are going to be doing a 2 car to 3 companionship rotation so we will have the car during the (hottest) last 2 weeks of August which is good. I know there are missionaries all over the world who have it a heck of a lot worse than I do but I'm not going to lie, I'm glad I'm not in their shoes right now. I'm really grateful to be able to have a car hahaha.
 
So I don't know if anyone has heard the (not so) latest church news. I guess every missionary in the USA should have an iPad as a teaching aid and to help better organize ourselves by the end of the year. Something cool that we get to look forward to. Man we really are some spoiled missionaries...
 
D&C 18:11-13;15
"Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God; For, behold, the Lord your Redeemer suffered death in the flesh; wherefore he suffered the pain of all men, that all men might repent and come unto him. And he hath risen again from the dead, that he might bring all men unto him, on conditions of repentance. And how great is his joy in the soul that repenteth. And if it so be that you should labor all your days in crying repentance unto this people, and bring, save it be one soul unto me, how great shall be your joy with him in the kingdom of my Father!"  I read this the other day and it's just been on my mind ever since, especially the parts that I put in Bold. I think every day we have a lot more opportunities to "cry repentance" unto the the people than we realize. We really do "cry repentance" through our actions and the example that we put forth to others. And how great will be our joy when we pass through this life and see all those people on whom we have made a positive impression, who we have helped to return to live with their Heavenly Father. Just something that I think each one of us can do, to look at our life and see how we can set a better example for those around us so that they can find happiness in the Gospel just as we have.
 
That's about it for the week. There was more that I wanted to write but I don't remember what any of it was. That's what happens to me every week. I think my brain doesn't work with that stuff to well because all my memory is being used to remember the names of all the families in our Ward. Well... check back again next week.
 
Love you all! Good luck with the move Becerra Family. Should be fun ;) Have a great week everyone!
 
    Love
       -Elder Nyholm

No comments:

Post a Comment