Friday, August 22, 2014

Sent: Monday, August 11, 2014 10:18 AM
Subject: The Ball Is Rolling
 
So this week ended really really well. We had not one, but two speakers in Sacrament meeting that were talking us up over the pulpit, which is much needed in this area. I feel like we are finally starting to get some real good member support and we are starting to develop good relationships with the members in our ward, hence the "the ball in rolling". I guess the hard work and diligence really pays off. If we aren't in a member's home for a quick visit and spiritual thought then we are out tracting anywhere and everywhere. This is the most tracting I've ever done and we are getting the worst results I've ever seen haha. But the seeds are planted. Give it a few years and they will grow.
 
I've been doing really well lately. At the beginning of this transfer I felt really overwhelmed with opening a new area and training at the same time but now it's just starting to feel normal. I've definitely noticed that you learn a ton more while training than you do while being trained. The training part is almost starting to become something that I actually enjoy just because I can see the growth in myself and the knowledge that I'm gaining. Also, new missionaries just come out with so much enthusiasm and energy that they just give you the push you need every day to be excited to go out and work. And they have tons of new ideas for finding people to teach and working effectively in the area, ideas that you start to forget after you have been out for a while.
 
We had an awesome visit with Brother Bryant (who is working super hard to overcome smoking and enter the temple) this last week. We were able to go with him to the Independence Visitor's Center with a ward member Brother Hales (who just moved into the ward). We saw most of what the Visitor's Center has to offer and we had some really good spiritual discussions also. I love being in the VC because the spirit is just so strong there and it is a wonderful teaching environment. Brother Bryant are Brother Hales both really enjoyed the visit also and were really glad that we asked them to go there with us. Neither one of them had seen the VC in about 30 years and it has changed a lot since then. They were really impressed with the tours there and the spirit that was felt during our visit.
 
I found a really cool scripture this week that I wanted to share with you all. Its in Ephesians 2:19-21 and says "ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints, and of the household of God; And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone; In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:". This scripture really stuck out to me this week because some of the work that we have been doing in this ward. I feel like when we got here we didn't really have any ward support, members weren't excited to have "the Elders" because of the issues that came up with the last set that were here. Well, I was relating this scripture to us as missionaries and to the members of the ward. When I we first got here the "building" was not "fitly framed" whatsoever. Things were leaning, walls were cracking, ceilings were falling... missionary work was not progressing. But now that we are starting to work with the members, now that the members are beginning to trust us, and now that the building is becoming better and better framed, Missionary work is beginning to progress in the ward. One thing that I learned while I was at the VC this week is that the church or a "Holy Temple" or Zion for that matter aren't places. WE are the church, WE are temples, WE are Zion. As members we have the sacred duty of sharing the Gospel with those around us. The duty of sharing the happiness and blessings that we have received with anyone and everyone. The problem is that without the members and missionaries being "fitly framed together" in the ward we cannot become a "holy temple in the Lord" and missionary work cannot and will not progress. But even further than that, are our lives fitly framed together? are our families fitly framed together? If not then I think that what we always need to return back to is the "foundation... Jesus Christ being the chief cornerstone". I know that if we do that then we will see the blessings of the Gospel in our lives and we will be strengthened in our testimonies and our faith.
 
There's really not much more for me to talk about this week. Things are just rolling. Slowly for now, but a slow roll turns into a faster one eventually. Hopefully I'll have some good exciting news next week. I'll let you know :) Anyways, have a great week everyone. Love you all!
 
   Love
        -Elder Nyholm

No comments:

Post a Comment