Monday, June 1, 2015

Sent: Tuesday, May 26, 2015 8:49 AM
Subject: Well Shoot
 
I forgot to write down in my planner everything that happened this week. So now I don't remember it all. Bummer. But I remember some of the important stuff so I guess I'll still have a bit to write about.
 
Yesterday we had an awesome Memorial Day Breakfast on Adam-Ondi-Ahman. One of the families in our ward, The Hagans, brought hard-boiled quail eggs. Well, they told me that they were super good and that you could eat them even with the shell on and then finally convinced me to eat one, even though no one else did. So I ate it, shell and all, (and it was actually pretty good) and then they told me that neither of them had tried a single one, not even a peeled one. So yeah, new adventurous food choice of the week. I recommend them.
 
A few days ago we ate dinner with the Lichfields in Gallatin. They have a pretty big property and we were down there at night and all the fireflies came out. There were thousands of them, way more than I've ever seen before. It looked like there were fireworks going off on the ground because there were so many. Also, if you hit a firefly on the highway and it splatters on your windshield it actually glows on your windshield for 30 seconds or so. Pretty cool huh?
 
Last night we were driving home from Ridgeway, 47 miles away from Trenton, and a huge storm was coming in. It was following us the whole way home, lighting and all. We didn't get rained on at all and then last night it dumped out about an inch of rain. I'm pretty surprised that we didn't have any tornado warnings or anything last night. I though for sure we would have them with the big temperature change and the huge storm front coming in.
 
This Saturday we will have a baptism for Donna and Sam. They live in Jamesport and we've been teaching them for about 2 weeks now. They are a super awesome family and they remember and apply everything we teach them almost immediately. It's just an sweet experience to see a family progressing so quickly. We are still working with Jim and Jason to help them stop smoking so that they can be baptized as well. Today we will teach them their last lesson and tomorrow they will be interviewed for baptism :) Also, they fed a us dinner the other day and it was chicken that they fried in butter. That's some good stuff :)
 
Today I'm taking off to Gallatin for exchanges. Elder Edginton set up an appointment with a Spanish family there (The Manzano Family) So we are going to cook some Mexican food with them and I will have an opportunity to practice my Spanish. So I'm really looking forward to that. And Sister Manzano is going to make us a Flan, which is one of my favorite desserts of all time. Good stuff to look forward to.
 
I was reading in Mosiah 5 and some parts of verses 7 and 8 stuck out to me. They say "this day [Christ] hath spiritually begotten you; for ye say that your hearts are changed through faith on his name... There is no other name given whereby salvation cometh; therefore, I would that ye should take upon you the name of Christ, all you that have entered into the covenant with God that ye should be obedient unto the end of your lives." I really like these verses because they show that when we have true faith in our Savior Jesus Christ that we will be obedient to the commandments that he has given us. A mighty change of heart will come to those who are obedient to the commandments of the Lord and we will be named as Christ. We will be the Christ-like example that those around us need in order to have the strength to make it through their own trials and struggles. We can be the light that others need in their lives, to give them hope and confidence in order to "endure hardness as a good soldier of Jesus Christ".
 
Well that's all that I can remember for the week. I Love You! Make it a great week!
 
       -Elder Nyholm
 
Pictures: The storm that we outran. Elder McLaws got transferred :( And Elder Edginton (The one in the truck with me) is the one who teaches me how to cook


 

No comments:

Post a Comment