Wednesday, January 21, 2015


Sent: Tuesday, January 20, 2015 10:30 AM
Subject: Whoops
 
I had written down all the cool stuff that happened here over the last week and then I forgot my planner so now I'm back to square one. It's great isn’t it? I think I remember most of what I wrote down, which still isn't very much but we'll see how it goes.
This week one of our members gave us a big cable machine for exercise so now Elder Monroe and I can actually be motivated to exercise. It was a beast to move into our apartment but now it's there and it's functional so we are pretty excited about that. Maybe we will turn into big muscle men now in the next 5 weeks (hahaha just kidding... have you seen our little spaghetti arms?).
We went on a tour of Liberty Jail with a recent convert and her non-member husband. On the tour there were us 4, the tour guide sister missionary, and one other guy who was really short with black hair. Elder Monroe leaned over to me and asked, "Hey, is that David Archuleta?" I looked at him and it sure did look like him. Well at the end of the tour Elder Monroe talked to him a tiny bit and it turns out that it really was David Archuleta. I guess David doesn't like talking too much though because he really wouldn’t talk to us hardly at all... he was kind of a chump.... but oh well. Just thought that you might think that was interesting.
After who knows how many times going through Liberty Jail I learned something new again. If you stand by the side of the jail so that you are looking through the barred windows, then you are staring directly at the picture of Christ in the exit room. I thought that was pretty cool because we as people seem to focus on our trials a lot when we should really be looking toward Christ despite our trials. You'll have to take a look the next time you visit Liberty Jail.
I did get the cookies on Wednesday. They are super moist and delicious still. They came in the best shape that they ever have. Thank you!
There is a cool scripture in Alma 18:34 that says "Ammon said unto him: I am a man; and man in the beginning was created after the image of God, and I am called by his Holy Spirit to teach these things unto this people, that they may be brought to a knowledge of that which is just and true". I think this scripture is really cool because each one of us has the responsibility to help others to come to a knowledge of the truth and closer to their Heavenly Father. We each have received so much joy in our lives from the Gospel, so why are we sometimes afraid to share it with those around us? I know that as we overcome our fears and our anxieties and begin to share the Gospel with those around us that we will see our lives and the lives of other change for the better, that we will see people have more happiness in their lives because of the knowledge that we have shared with them. I've seen it a lot over the past 14 months on my mission. I've seen it happen :)
Did I tell you that it has been really warm here lately? Like 50 degrees every day for the last week. I haven’t had to wear a jacket at all. Last year at this time is was probably about 20 degrees outside with a foot of snow on the ground. I'm really enjoying this winter a lot better though haha. If we are lucky we will be able to make it out of the really cold months (January and February) without too much bad weather.
So since it was really warm yesterday, we went to "The Plaza" in downtown KCMO and just became tourists for a day because it was our P-Day. It was a pretty cool place and I guess at Christmas the whole place is decorated really nice. We went too late in the season though so all the decorations were already gone. Andy Reid, Member of the church and head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs also lives like 5 minutes from the plaza. Elder Monroe went on exchanges a few weeks ago and got to go in Andy Reid's house. It must be a pretty nice house because it was big enough to have an elevator in it...
That's about it for the week. I hope you like this e-mail a little better than last weeks :) I Love You. Have a great week!
       -Elder Nyholm
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment